Skip to main content

Brixton Pound



Yup, this caught me by surprise too. This is not a joke; Brixton has actually launched its own currency, the Brixton Pound. For those who don’t know where Brixton is, it’s an area of South London, well known for things like the Brixton Academy, Electric Avenue and a number of various other things, which are mainly negative so I won’t get in to it.

The Brixton pound has been created to promote local people to spend their money on local goods. It’s only accepted in Brixton and the idea has been taken from 3 other town in the UK.


In order to get these new Brixton pounds, you would have to go to an exchange point and then spend them in Brixton and the idea is that they will hopefully stay in circulation locally. Personally I don’t see why I’d go out my way to change my normal pounds to Brixton pounds, when I can just use my normal pounds. The only reason I’d go for these Brixton pounds would be for novelty. Staff working for the shops accepting the Brixton Pound can also choose to get paid with Brixton Pounds. The notes can be changed but to Pound Stirling simply by returning them to the exchange points.

The same idea has been used in Lewes West Sussex, maybe I could use the Lewes Pounds to go buy a car from Renault Lewes dealership Tates.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brown is the new Black

The last couple of years saw a rise in cars being released in white. It’s a cool colour but it’s starting to get boring. So it’s good news to see that 2010 seems to be bringing new hues into the market; the most popular seems to be shades of Brown. As always fashion trends always go full circle, so seeing brown cars reminds me of my dad’s car back when I was just 8 years old, he use to drive a chocolate brown Ford Escort. As I got older I remember joy riding around in a brown Mini Metro, luckily I never got caught. The first brown car I saw was the Audi R8 Spyder, which looked amazing. As more cars got released with the new 10 registration plate it seems it’s the new trend and Brown has become the new black. My favourite new car in brown is the Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet, followed closely by the Audi R8 Spyder. I’ve even seen an Audi A3 in a really dark brown colour which I loved. The most affordable brown car I would go for would be the Citroen DS3; I should p...

Not all Online Sign Language Courses are equal

On my mission to learn Sign Language in 2021, I did what most people would do and went to Google and searched “learn sign language”. A few places popped up and I realised as I’m the UK, I needed to be a little bit more specific, as in the UK it’s called British Sign Language or BSL. So, I went on to search “Learn British Sign Language online”. I’m no stranger to Google search engine results being a mixture of paid ad listing and listings that naturally pop up on the first page due to their ranking by Google. I wanted a good deal, so I clicked on some of the paid ads which pop up right at the top and here’s where my confusions began. I found website that offered BSL courses which seemed like a bargain, I could apparently sign up online and learn BSL Level 1 and BSL Level 2 and get certified at an 89% discounted price of just £14.00 – This was “a deal not to miss” I thought. But my gut was saying “you get what you pay for”. So, I investigated further to find out what I’m getti...

New Ford Focus 2011

The Ford Focus was first released in 1994 and now 16 years on we see the 3 rd Generation of Ford Focus’s getting ready to be released early 2011. Described as the most important product in 25 years by Ford boss Alan Mullaly. This will be the first Ford Focus to be sold as one design across the globe, as previously the models varied a little country to country. As with all previous Ford Focus cars, this new model is set to be popular. The current Focus has excellent handling for its class and the new Focus has been promised to have even better handling with the introduction of multilink rear suspension and new variable power steering system. It should be exciting to see the new Ford Focus range of ST and RS models, which have always been a favourite to the UK market. Apparently on this new model Ford are looking at providing a new 1.6 “EcoBoost” Turbo petrol engines, which will give more power than the current 2.0litre engine. This is very similar to VW’s Golf TSi m...